Installing Sandbox Environment

Installing 7.2 Sandbox Environment Using VirtualBox on Windows

This tutorial will cover the installation of a 3 node Vertica 7.2 sandbox environment on CentOS 7 using VirtualBox 5.0 with Windows. As this is a sandbox environment, the settings described in the tutorial are the minimum requirements for running Vertica on the described software stack. Refer to the installation documentation for a comprehensive guide on installing Vertica. A VM Configuration Guide for VM hardware recommendations is available (although intended for 7.1.x).

Overview

Basic knowledge of Linux is highly recommended. There may be some missing configuration components, but for purposes of creating a sandbox environment, the procedure below suffices. The estimated set up time is around 30 minutes, and videos are provided where appropriate. For installation of a Vertica 7.1 sandbox environment, follow our earlier tutorial.

1. Required Tools & Software
  2. Initial VM Configuration
  3. CentOS Installation
  4. CentOS Configuration
  5. VM Cloning
  6. Configure Cloned Machines
  7. Install Vertica
  8. Post-install Steps & Example Database

Click here if you wish to read this tutorial on a single page.

About the author /

Norbert Krupa

Norbert is the founder of vertica.tips and a Solutions Engineer at Talend. He is an HP Accredited Solutions Expert for Vertica Big Data Solutions. He has written the Vertica Diagnostic Queries which aim to cover monitoring, diagnostics and performance tuning. The views, opinions, and thoughts expressed here do not represent those of the user's employer.

9 Comments

1. Greg Hayes November 30, 2015 at 3:34 PM -  Reply

Did you encounter any errors regarding an xfs file system or lvscan? In VirtualBox I don’t see any options to set the file system to ext3 or ext4 when creating the guest OS. I’m using Windows 7 64 with a SATA SSD drive.

• Norbert Krupa November 30, 2015 at 9:11 PM -  Reply

I did not encounter the errors you are mentioning. I’m using the same environment as you. At which point do you receive these errors, and do you have the specific error message?

2. Greg Hayes December 1, 2015 at 8:20 AM -  Reply

From what I can tell, the default file system for the CentOS 7 ISO that I downloaded is “xfs”. If I leave the “Automatically Configure Partition” option checked, the file system type is “xfs” and the “install_vertica” script complains about this as it requires ext3 or ext4 (https://my.vertica.com/docs/7.2.x/HTML/index.htm#cshid=S0160). Instead, I reinstalled CentOS and chose to manually configure the partitions creating my “/” mount point as an ext4 “standard partition”. Once that was done, and the nodes all cloned, the installation went forward without an issue.

• Norbert Krupa December 1, 2015 at 10:34 AM -  Reply

What failure threshold were you using when running the install_vertica script?

3. Greg Hayes December 1, 2015 at 10:46 AM -  Reply

I left it as the default of WARN. I will try creating a new cluster by adding the “–failure-threshold FAIL” option with the “xfs” file system.

• Norbert Krupa December 1, 2015 at 10:48 AM -  Reply

For sandbox purposes, I didn’t address the file system support. If this was a production environment, I would lower that threshold more.

4. George December 2, 2015 at 4:48 PM -  Reply

from most of the download sites for CentOS-7-x86_64-Minimal-1503-01.iso, I am getting a 6KB file (instead of a 600 MB file as size mentioned), Can you suggest a site where I can download the proper CentOS-7-x86_64-Minimal-1503-01.iso, appreciate your response ..

Thanks,

• Norbert Krupa December 2, 2015 at 7:19 PM -  Reply

Is it possible you’re being blocked by a firewall? I’m looking at this directory and choosing CentOS-7-x86_64-Minimal-1503-01.iso. I can try sharing it via Drive or Dropbox with you.

5. Duncan January 26, 2017 at 11:18 AM -  Reply

Great tutorial, thank you Norbert! During installation I overrode the filesystem complaint by changing the failure-threshold. However, when subsequently creating a database Admintools failed due to “Unsupported filesystem.” Admintools suggested using –skip-fs-checks, but for those following along it may be worthwhile to just do as Greg did and reinstall CentOS with manual partition configuration.