Vertica released SP2 (7.1.2) today. The main features include CUBE and ROLLUP aggregation, Place and Pulse improvements, OLE DB Driver compatibility, Hadoop and Storage Location enhancements (directly reading ORC files), Management Console role management, and enhancements to the parsers in Flex.
HP Vertica Place
This release adds two new functions to HP Vertica Place:
- STV_Refresh_Index – Appends newly added or updated polygons to an existing spatial index.
- STV_LineStringPoint – Retrieves the vertices of a linestring or multilinestring.
HP Vertica Pulse
This release adds several enhancements to HP Vertica Pulse:
- Case-Sensitive Sentiment Analysis – Allows case setting to be specified for a particular word
- Concurrent User Defined Dictionaries – Allows user to apply dictionaries on a per-user basis
- Dictionary And Mapping Labels – Allows labels to be applied to any user defined dictionary or mapping when an object is loaded
- New HP Vertica Pulse Functions – Adds 5 new functions:
This release adds driver functionality:
- OLE DB Driver Added for SSAS – Added OLE DB driver to the HP Vertica COnnectivity Pack for Microsoft
- New Installer for ODBC Driver on Mac OS X – Mac OS X installer (.pkg) for the HP Vertica ODBC driver on Mac OS X
External Table Row Counts
Added functionality to provide exact number of rows in external tables which helps optimizer identify smaller table in joins for improved query performance.
Flex Table Load and Query
This release adds new parameters to Flex parsers:
- New parameters for fjsonparser – start_point_occurrence, key_separator, suppress_nonalphanumeric_key_chars
- New treat_empty_val_as_null parameter for the fdelimitedparser parser
GROUP BY Aggregation
This release adds major improvements to the GROUP BY functionality:
- New CUBE aggregation performs the aggregation for all permutations of CUBE expressions
- New GROUPING SETS aggregation exact groupings of aggregations to be specified.
- Multiple ROLLUP, CUBE, or GROUPING SETS can be used in the GROUP BY clause
Hadoop & Storage Location
This release adds the following Hadoop-related features:
- Kerberos integration for Hadoop
- Direct reading of ORC files
- Sharing of HCatalog configuration information
This release adds the following features to Management Console: